Community Development Programme
In recent years County Longford has become a very diverse county with a range of cultures and ethnic groups making it their home. While this provides many opportunities for the county, there are also challenges in supporting these communities address varying degrees of exclusion, marginalisation and discrimination in the county. The Roma community in particular face a lot of challenges, not alone in County Longford, but throughout Europe.
LCRL Roma and New Communities CDP is one of seven pilot Community Development Projects funded by the Department of Rural and Community Development to develop community development responses to a range of social, economic and environmental concerns.
The vision of Longford Roma and New Communities CDP is a County Longford where Roma and other New Communities:
- can participate as equals in all parts of society
- have their voices heard in decision-making that affects them
- have their culture valued and celebrated
- have full and equal access to basic services.
The Community Development Project provides the following support to members of the Roma and other New Communities:
- CDP staff will refer individuals to other agencies or supports as appropriate – such as health, housing, employment, training, etc.
- Organise a range of activities and programmes to engage with the community. In 2022 Longford Roma and New Communities CDP organised a Celebration of International Roma Day and hosted an Exhibition of Roma and the Nazi Holocaust.
- Training in capacity and leadership skills amongst members of the community.
- Establish an independent organisation led by Roma and members of New Communities.
- For more information please contact Seán Regan on 087 947 8650t firstname.lastname@example.org .